Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A few thoughts on my friends and my ghost stalker....


Ok, so let me just get this out of the way now and then I will continue on making my blog a little less serious and a little bit more ridiculous, or as I like to say, ritalkulous.
I am amazed with the quality of people that I currently have surrounding me. I didnt really expect any negative reaction to my previous post but I also did not expect the overwhelming positive response that I received from everyone. Thank you all so much for your comments, whether they were left on here, via email, or in person. It gives me great satisfaction to know that I have so many great friends who genuinely care about me and my life. I just hope I have returned the feeling to each and every one of you.
Ok, thats that. Now on to the juicy stuff.
I have always had an odd fascination with things that are not necessarily of this world. Being a wannabe physicist I have always looked to the heavens in awe and wonder. Do I believe there are other forms of life, other human beings in our vast universe? Of course! No doubt in my mind. I dont think that they look anything like the "aliens" that the movies portray, but there are people out there, just like you and me. There are also other life forms out there, who knows, maybe even dinosaurs still live somewhere in this universe. I think its sad to think otherwise. I have always had a thing for crop circles and even went as far as to write an entire final paper on them during a semester of English. After the research that I read through I find it very, very hard to believe that they are all created by earthly beings. There are obvious fakes, and a few noteworthy attempts, but the "real" ones, cannot be explained away. But thats just me. Believe what you want. But read my paper first, then believe what I tell you to believe! Even if they are fake, they should be revered as greats works of art. Some of them measure 3 football fields in length and carry perfect symmetry throughout the intricate designs. I think they are just beautiful.
It is another subject I would like to discuss a bit more tonight though. And that is one of ghosts. I have never been a big believer in ghosts but the idea has always fascinated me, I loved watching Ghostbusters over and over again as a kid. Lets not forget other great ghost movies such as Ghost Dad, Bill and Teds Bogus Journey and Beetlejuice. I dont know how Ghost Dad fits in there, but it does, trust me. Outside of the movies I have always found the idea of ghosts to be intriguing. I have heard many stories throughout my life that if I had to be honest with you, some of them have spooked the crap out of me. My neighbor told me stories about a haunting that has been going on at Capital Theater where he has worked for years. I remember listening in on my aunt telling stories of shadows being where shadows shouldn't be after my cousin died. Since then I have kept frequent tabs on the Utah Ghost Hunters Society (http://www.utahghost.org/) Even being the skeptic that I am I still find a lot of entertainment value in what they have to see. Last night may have just changed my mind though.
I have been staying at the Comfort Inn on main street in Logan for the last few nights while I do an audit here for a local credit union. It is not a fancy hotel, but they do have a couch in the room and two sinks, one in the room so if someone is in the shower you can still get ready, so thats not too bad. But its what else the room apparently has that is causing me not to sleep well at night.
Last night I was just laying in bed watching the Olympics while my brother slept in the other bed. I was watching the first of four basketball games that were being played throughout the night. At 12:50 I decided to give up and go to sleep. I turned the TV off and rolled over. I grabbed the spare pillow and hugged it to my chest and closed my eyes. Twenty-Seven minutes later it happed. At exactly 1:17 AM I opened my eyes to see a large black human shaped object standing next to my bed sort of hovering over me. It seemed so real to me that I actually swung the pillow that I was hugging out at it. The pillow never connected with anything and as soon as I got the pillow back to my chest the shadowy image was gone. I looked over to the other bed to see if Zak, my brother, was playing some sort of joke on me but he was still there sound asleep. It took me a while to get back to sleep but I eventually did. To add to it, after work today I left to go for a run while Zak took a nap with the Olympics on in the background. When I got back to a silent room he woke up and asked me why I turned the TV off. I, of course, did not do this. It would seem that this ghost of mine just does not like the Olympics. Well, I guess that is his loss. Because they have been pretty fantastic so far.
Anyways, that is my ghost story. I imagine it will grow as the years go on like most "big fish" stories tend to do. But I am sticking with it as fact.

Here are a few of the Haunted locations in Logan according to the UGHS.

Logan - Cemetery:
The sound of crying is often heard by certain headstones late at night.

Logan - Grapevine Restaurant:
Former employees report dishes flying against the walls and breaking, brooms being moved from one room to another as if being carried by an invisible entity.

Logan - Green Canyon:
There is a certain area where strange things have been reported. When you enter this location you get a feeling of despair, depression and hopelessness. You get a strong feeling of evil, and not a sound is heard.

Logan - Nunnery, Logan Canyon:
There is a pool where a little boy drowned. There have been many sightings of children that were killed there.

11 comments:

joN. said...

the ghost only comes out during the olympics? did you see anything resembling an awesome mustache? perhaps it's the empty shell of mark spitz haunting the olympics.

Tara said...

Scott! So glad you have a blog, now we can be blog friends too! Good stuff, by the way. . .

Rhett said...

Two things:

1. Where is this paper so we can read it?

2. At the nunnery, 1 boy drowns, but "children" have been killed there? wow.

2. We should totally make some crop circles this fall! Why not?

Steph said...

This reminds me of when Clint used to shudder and talk about the "baby hospital". I'm not so sure about the whole ghost thing, but I am ashamed to say that I've watched Ghost Dad like 10 times.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

So I kinda have an odd fascination with the paranormal as well. My first encounter happened when I was 3...I know I'm weird. Also, I made my parents take me to a UFO convention in Mesquite, NV when I was 15....it was sooo rad! I wore my crop circle t-shirt I bought there almost everyday!

Kaila said...

Scott. I guess I am a little slow to read your blog. Thanks for opening up to all of us about your daughter. You are an incredible person and I am glad I know you.

So with that said, I am excited to hear you are as fascinated with ghosts as I am. I love it! If you are ever in the mood for a really great ghost story let me know. I have a few really creepy ones that will haunt me until the day I die.

Kristi said...

I sort of feel like my time in Logan was wasted now. I didn't see/feel anything exciting/scary/ghostlike there in three years!

Laura Lee said...

I had to stop laughing at the memory of Clint's "Baby Hospital" story before I could comment.

OK. Those Utah ghost people come to my building every Halloween to see the Purple Lady. I'm not as sensitive to ghosts as some people are, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

I totally want to read your paper on crop circles. Post it!

Rania said...

First of all I have to ask Clint about the baby hospital. I have never heard that story which is funny because Clint knows I love ghosts. Secondly, I LOVE GHOSTS. I spent all morning watching ghost investigators international. I also believe I have seen a ghost and it happened right after I woke up. Interesting! Lastly I totally love the ghost hunters in Utah. Every year around halloween 101.9 has them on their show and it is my favorite. The EVP's are insane.

Unknown said...

THANKS for the warning! You forgot to mention at the beginning of the post that no one should read it at night, when they are alone in bed! I am so scared!
The weird thing is, I don't believe in ghosts, yet they scare the shit out of me.
Oh and PS, Ghost Dad opened on my birthday and I totally saw it with all of my friends and my mom for my birthday party. We snuck in licorice. Yes, we were that poor.

Annie said...

I'm not completely sure that I believe in ghosts but I did live in a house that was haunted once. Things flying off of walls, radios and TV's turning themselves on and off, it was weird.

And about the Capitol Theater ghost, did you know that every theater is haunted? Every night the theater technicians put a single light bulb on stage and let it burn all night. It's the ghost light. True story.